She is the author of seven published children’s books; one of which is an iParenting Award winner.
Numerous academic positions with the University of Washington, including as a:
- Research Scientist with the Department of Psychiatry (2014-2016);
- Research Scientist with the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute (2005-2013);
- Research Consultant and Postdoc with the Department of Psychology (2004-2008);
- Writer/Analyst with the School of Social Work, Social Development Research Group (1997-2000);
- Researcher with the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center (1995-1997).
Education, Titles, and Degrees
- 2004-2006: Postdoctoral Award Recipient, University of Washington, Department of Psychology, Alcohol Studies with G. Alan Marlatt, PhD
- 1999: Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of Washington, Seattle. Specializations: Research Methods & Statistics; Prediction & Prevention of Youth Risky Behavior; Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- 1998: B.A., Psychology, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA
- 1992: M.A., Clinical Psychology, State University of New York at Brockport
- 1991: Research Internship, Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, Attention Deficit Disorder Program, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
First- and Second-Author Publications
- Lonczak, H. S., Thomas, L. R., Donovan, D. M., Austin, L., Sigo, R. L. W., Lawrence, N., & the Suquamish Tribe (2013). Navigating the tide together: Early collaboration between tribal and academic partners in a CBPR study. Pimatisiwin: A Journal of Indigenous & Aboriginal Community Health, 11(3), 395-409. (link)
- Lonczak, H. S., Fernandez, A., Austin, L., & Marlatt, G. A. (2007). Family Structure and substance use among American Indian youth. Family Systems & Health, 25(1), 10-22.
- Lonczak, H. S., Neighbors, D., & Donovan, D. M. (2007). Predicting risky and angry driving as a function of gender. Accident, Analysis & Prevention, 39(3), 536-545. (link)
- Lonczak, H. S., Clifasefi, S., Marlatt, G. A., & Blume, A. (2006). Religious coping and psychological functioning in a correctional population. Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 9(2), 171-192.
- Lonczak, H. S., Abbott, R. D., Hawkins, J. D., & Catalano, R. F. (2002). Effects of the Seattle Social Development Project on Sexual Behavior, Pregnancy, Birth, and STD Outcomes by Age 21. Archives of Pediatric Medicine, 156(5), 438-47. (link)
- Lonczak, H. S., Huang, B., Catalano, R. F., Hawkins, J. D., Hill, K. G., Abbott, R. D., & Ryan, J. A. M. (1999). The social predictors of adolescent alcohol misuse: A test of the Social Development Model. Journal of Studies in Alcohol, 62(2), 179-89. (link)
- Collins, S. E., Lonczak, H. S., & Clifasefi, S. L. (2017). Seattle’s Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD) Program: Effects on recidivism outcomes. Evaluation and Program Planning, 64, 49-56. (link)
- Clifasefi, S. L., Lonczak, H. S., Collins, S. E. (2017). Seattle’s Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD) Program: Within-subjects changes on housing, employment and income/benefits outcomes and associations with recidivism. Crime & Delinquency, 63, 429–445. (link)
- Osilla, K. K., Lonczak, H. S., Mail, P. D., Larimer, M. E. & Marlatt, G. A. (2008). Regular tobacco use among American Indian and Alaska Native Adolescents: An examination of protective mechanisms. Journal of Ethnicity in Substance Abuse, 6, 143-153.
- Hawkins, J. D, Lonczak, H. S., Abbott, R. D., Kosterman, R., & Catalano, R. F. (2002). Overstating the behavioral effects of the Seattle Social Development Project. Archives of Pediatric Medicine, 156(11), 1155-1156.
- Strakowski S., Lonczak H., Crist A., Mehta R., & Thienhaus O. (1995). The effects of race on diagnosis and disposition from a psychiatric emergency service. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 56, 1001-107.
Published Children’s Books:
- Lonczak, H. (2007). Mookey the Monkey Gets Over Being Teased. Wash, D.C.: Magination Press. (New Edition Coming in 2021).
- Lonczak, H. (2006). Henry’s Ride. Seattle: Ivy Lane Press.
- Lonczak, H. (2019). My Friend Gideon. Seattle: IngramSpark.
- Lonczak, H. (2019). Gus Becomes a Big Brother: An Adoption Story. Seattle: IngramSpark.
- Lonczak, H. (2020). Fletcher and the Fledgling. Seattle: IngramSpark.
- Lonczak, H. (2020). Penelope Windpipes: Learns the Power of Staying Calm. Seattle: IngramSpark.
- Lonczak, H. (2020). Mighty Zoë: The Misunderstood Parrot. Seattle, WA.
- Lonczak, H. (2020). The Fig Tree: A Lessin in Gratitude. Seattle, WA, In Press.
Heather’s website provides more information concerning her books and poems.
A Personal Message From Heather
My goal is to inspire, entertain and even empower readers of all ages. If I am successful in teaching a reader about salient psychological or community issues; or in making a child giggle or feel more capable, then my work is done! I write about issues of social significance with the aim of making a meaningful difference to my readers and the larger community.