Dr. Sofie Champassak is a licensed clinical psychologist and the director of the San Diego Center for Stress & Healthy Aging (CS&HA). Her research has focused on motivation, health, and patient-provider communication. She has expertise in enhancing clients’ motivation, confidence, and commitment with health-related changes.
- Owner, Director, Clinical Psychologist – San Diego Center for Stress & Healthy Aging
- Clinical Psychologist – Center for Stress Recovery and Resilience
- Psychology Postdoctoral Fellow – VA San Diego Healthcare System
- Clinical Psychology Intern – VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
First- and Second-Author Publications
- Martinez, D. A. & Champassak, S. (2020) – Lifestyle changes and motivational interviewing. In Douaihy, A. & Rivet Amico, K. (Eds), Motivational Interviewing in HIV Care. Oxford University Press.
- Finocchario-Kessler, S., Champassak, S. L., Hoyt, M.J., Short, W., Chakraborty, R., Weber, S., Levison, J., Philips, J., Storm, D., Anderson, J., HIV PCC Study Team. (2016). – PrEP for safer conception among serodifferent couples: findings from healthcare providers serving patients with HIV in seven U.S. cities. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 30(3):125-33.
- Miller, M. K., Champassak, S. L., Goggin, K., Kelly, P., Dowd, M. D., Mollen, C. J., Humiston, S. G., Linebarger, J., Apodaca, T. R. (2016). – Brief behavioral intervention to improve adolescent sexual health: A feasibility study in the Emergency Department. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2016:31(2);17-19.
- Champassak, S. L., Miller, M. K., Goggin, K. (2015). – Motivational Interviewing for Adolescents in the Emergency Department. Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 16(2), 102-112.
- Champassak, S. L., Catley, D., Finocchario-Kessler, S., Farris, M., Ehtesham, M., Schoor, R., Goggin, K. (2015). – Physician smoking cessation counseling and adherence to the Clinical Practice Guideline. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare, 2(4), 477-484.
- Champassak, S. L., Goggin, K., Finocchario-Kessler, S., Farris, M., Ehtesham, M., Schoor, R., Catley, D. (2014). – A qualitative assessment of provider perspectives on smoking cessation counseling. Journal of Evaluation and Clinical Practice, 20(3).
Education & Degrees
- 2016 – Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Health Psychology (APA Accredited) Magna Cum Laude – University of Missouri, Kansas City
- 2012 – Master of Arts in Psychology, Magna Cum Laude – University of Missouri, Kansas City
- 2010 – Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Magna Cum Laude – San Diego State University, California
- 2007 – Associate of Arts in Transfer Studies – San Diego Community College, California