Helen is a freelance writer with a Ph.D. in Psychology and MSc in Organizational Psychology. She has a varied background working in mental health and wellbeing research and is passionate about all things psychological.
As well as writing about many psychology and health topics, Helen loves to scribble away at fictional stories and screenplays too. You can usually find her in the countryside just south of Bristol, UK.
- 2017-current: Freelance writer and academic writing coach
- 2017-2020: PhD researcher in Psychology, University of Bath: Research explored emotional and physiological factors influencing moral decision-making
- 2017-2020: Team member on EPSRC funded VR documentary encounters project and graduate teaching assistant, University of Bath
- 2016-2017: MSc Organisational Psychology; included developing a team storytelling intervention for workplaces
- 2015-2017: Project officer and Wellbeing Data Trials Lead, Centre for Thriving Places, Bristol
- 2013-2015: Primary care mental health practitioner (CBT), Oasis talking therapies, Bristol
- 2014-2015: Data Co-ordinator, Clinical Trials, University Hospital, Bristol
First- and Second-Author Publications
- Brown, H., Proulx, M., & Stanton Fraser, D. (2020). Hunger-bias or gut-instinct? Responses to judgments of harm depending on visceral state versus intuitive decision-making. Frontiers in Psychology: Perception Science.
- Skoulikari, E., Brown, H., Stanton Fraser, D., & Brosnan, M. (2019). Creating a Socially Inclusive Environment for Autistic Children with the Cozmo Robot. Poster session presented at International Society for Autism Research (INSAR), Montreal, Canada.
Education & Degrees
- Ph.D. – University of Bath, UK
- MSc Organizational Psychology (With Distinction) – University West of England, UK
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Studies – University West of England, UK
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counseling – Chrysalis, UK
- BSc Psychology with Professional Placement (HMP Parc) (1st Class Honors) – Cardiff University, UK
Why should you trust what Helen writes?
Starting with her bachelor’s degree, Helen has studied psychology and/or worked as a practitioner or researcher for over 13 years. She has gained experience in a wide range of areas, including mental health and counseling, wellbeing research and positive psychology interventions, organizational/occupational psychology and human-computer interaction.