Dr. Helen Brown, Ph.D., is a freelance writer with a diverse background in psychology and mental health.
Helen is a freelance writer with a Ph.D. in Psychology and MSc in Organizational Psychology. She has a varied background working in mental health and wellbeing research and is passionate about all things psychological.
As well as writing about many psychology and health topics, Helen loves to scribble away at fictional stories and screenplays too. You can usually find her in the countryside just south of Bristol, UK.
- 2017-current: Freelance writer and academic writing coach
- 2017-2020: PhD researcher in Psychology, University of Bath: Research explored emotional and physiological factors influencing moral decision-making
- 2017-2020: Team member on EPSRC funded VR documentary encounters project and graduate teaching assistant, University of Bath
- 2016-2017: MSc Organisational Psychology; included developing a team storytelling intervention for workplaces
- 2015-2017: Project officer and Wellbeing Data Trials Lead, Centre for Thriving Places, Bristol
- 2013-2015: Primary care mental health practitioner (CBT), Oasis talking therapies, Bristol
- 2014-2015: Data Co-ordinator, Clinical Trials, University Hospital, Bristol
First- and Second-Author Publications
- Brown, H., Proulx, M., & Stanton Fraser, D. (2020). Hunger-bias or gut-instinct? Responses to judgments of harm depending on visceral state versus intuitive decision-making. Frontiers in Psychology: Perception Science.
- Skoulikari, E., Brown, H., Stanton Fraser, D., & Brosnan, M. (2019). Creating a Socially Inclusive Environment for Autistic Children with the Cozmo Robot. Poster session presented at International Society for Autism Research (INSAR), Montreal, Canada.
Education & Degrees
- Ph.D. – University of Bath, UK
- MSc Organizational Psychology (With Distinction) – University West of England, UK
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Studies – University West of England, UK
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counseling – Chrysalis, UK
- BSc Psychology with Professional Placement (HMP Parc) (1st Class Honors) – Cardiff University, UK
Why Should You Trust What Helen Writes?
Starting with her bachelor’s degree, Helen has studied psychology and/or worked as a practitioner or researcher for over 13 years. She has gained experience in a wide range of areas, including mental health and counseling, wellbeing research and positive psychology interventions, organizational/occupational psychology and human-computer interaction.
What Is Nature and Ecotherapy & How Does It Work?
There is much wisdom and healing to be found in nature if we’re willing to connect with it. Caring for animals, taking a stroll in [...]
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy Training: Top 17 Courses
Painful emotions or unpleasant thoughts can be extremely hard to sit with and accept. Often, our knee-jerk reaction is to avoid these experiences or try [...]
18 Behavioral Therapist Certifications & Training Courses
Changing our behavior is hard, even if that behavior hurts us. Maybe we drink too much alcohol when we’re stressed, shout at our kids when [...]
What Is Compassion Fatigue? 24 Causes & Symptoms Explained
Are you in a caring profession? If so, do you ever feel preoccupied with the suffering of the people you work with? In a helping [...]
Training in Schema Therapy: 14 Courses and Online Options
Our childhood experiences pave the way for enduring patterns and themes that can shape our relationships, coping styles, and ultimately, the direction of our lives. [...]
Motivational Interviewing Training: Top 14 Courses
Even if we know changing our behavior is good for us, change involves chartering unknown territories, putting forth effort, and letting go of familiar habits. [...]
11 Anger Management Therapy Techniques and Interventions
“I saw red.” “He blew a fuse.” “It made my blood boil.” “She flew off the handle.” “They drove me up the wall.” These are [...]
17 Best Courses for Relationship & Couples Counseling
Over the course of our lives, we will have countless relationships, some deep and lasting and others fleeting. Maintaining a healthy and satisfying relationship is [...]
Training in Narrative Therapy: 21 Courses & Online Options
The stories we tell ourselves can be incredibly powerful. When we speak of ourselves negatively, place blame on others, or compare our past selves to [...]
26 Best Stress-Relief Techniques According to Psychology
A traffic jam, a nightmare boss, a toxic relationship. All are nasty sources of stress that vary in how long they last and how much [...]
Fostering Self-Forgiveness: 25 Powerful Techniques and Books
There’s nothing quite like the ominous, stomach-churning feeling you get when you realize you’ve done something wrong. It could be as simple as forgetting a [...]
What Is Career Counseling? 3 Fascinating Theories Explained
Changing jobs every few years or less is increasingly the norm among younger generations. A 2020 Deloitte survey found that 31% of Millennials and around [...]
Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy: 12 Findings & Training Options
If any therapeutic approach were to raise an eyebrow or two, it would probably be psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy. Therapy in itself can be intense, challenging, and [...]
What Is Extrinsic Motivation? (Incl. Types & Examples)
Some tasks make you feel inspired, stimulated, and raring to go. Other tasks can make you want to curl up in bed, procrastinate on Netflix, [...]