"oh I get by with a little help from my friends (Lennon & McCartney, 1967)

Home Forums Introduce Yourself "oh I get by with a little help from my friends (Lennon & McCartney, 1967)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hugo Alberts 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Nate Stone
    Participant

Hi to all. Here’s a quick intro! After retiring from a 30 year medical career,at 61 I’m about to begin my internship in a Clinical Psychology doctoral program. In this program I will be dealing with substance abuse clients (of all ages) and their families prior to, and following in-patient treatment. Many are comorbid, experiencing depression, anxiety, and social anxiety. Thoughts about how to use and where to go in this toolkit universe. Thanks.

Hugo Alberts
    Keymaster

Hi Nate,

Great to see you here! I have been studying mindfulness in the context of addiction, and we have found really interesting results. I think what is most helpful is for clients to not only become more mindful of their addiction but also to learn to become a better friend of themselves. Many people with addiction suffer from a low level of self-acceptance and are highly critical of themselves. It is not uncommon for them to see themselves as a failure. I think the self-compassion tools in this toolkit will be very helpful here.

Also, I recommend this book on mindfulness and addiction:

It is hard to name specific tools as the use of tools is also dependent on the unique situation of a client.
    Just let us know if there is anything we can help with.

All the best,
    Hugo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.