Hello from the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia

Home Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Marion 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Victoria Beresford
    Participant

Hello everyone!!

I was very lucky to participate in Hugo and Seth’s Masterclass in Maastricht early this year. Trauma helped me find Positive Psychology. I was a police officer for over 18 years in NSW, Australia. I, unfortunately, developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and required intervention from a Psychiatrist. If everyone has ever experienced PTSD or the treatment that goes with it, well its traumatic in itself. I had to do a lot of exposure therapy, revisiting many of the horrific jobs I attend. The treatment helped with my symptoms but did nothing for my heart pain and loss of direction. My Pschitiaract pointed me towards Positive Psychology and the moment I start in that direction I started to truly heal. In gave me the strength to retire from the police force and follow my passion. Fast forward 6 months and I found myself in Masstrict with Hugo, Seth and some incredible people. I have my own business now called Ergomazing. The business name is as a play on words between ERGON (work) and AMAZING. My HR Consultancy is guided by the principle that work can be amazing. I am still in the startup phase but I am building PP into my HR consultancy (aka Positive HR).

Victoria

Hugo Alberts
    Keymaster

Hi Victoria,

So good to see you here again, although I like prefer you in real life 🙂

I love the way you explain the difference between fixing what is wrong and building what is strong through your personal story.

I hope that our pathways will cross again soon. Maybe next year at the World conference on PP in Australia?

Take care,
    Hugo

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hugo Alberts.

Marion
    Participant

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for sharing your story. I have recently started my internship as a psychologist, because after many years, I decided to become registered after all (I am a coach and facilitator). I struggle a bit with the slow pace of traditional psychology, and the feeling that we need to spend a lot of time in the past, but then think “Who am I to question centuries of science?”.

It is just that in my coaching practice, I use loads of positive psych based interventions, and the work seems so much more outcome focused than the traditional way. But… I shall persevere.

I am based just west of Brisbane, so if you ever would like to collaborate, give me a bell.

Congratulations on your startup!

Cheers,
    Marion Valster

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.