Giving Effective Feedback

Login Forums Requested Tools Giving Effective Feedback

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Hugo Alberts 1 year ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Giving feedback that is instructive and useful is essential in the business world yet so many of us struggle with this skill. A framework grounded in strengths with the means to deliver constructive messages would be very useful.

Hugo Alberts
    Keymaster

Hi Debra,

I really like this suggestion. I agree, giving feedback is a very common aspect of many jobs and done in the wrong way can really impact well-being. There is one tool in the toolkit that is related to this topic:

https://positivepsychology.com/tool/basic-need-satisfaction-communication/

I have used a modified version of this exercise with executives. I changed the scenario a bit. I used a scenario in which the interviewer is about to give feedback to an employee who is not functioning well. While doing so, he is required to take the employee’s basic needs into consideration.

Have you got any ideas that we may use for developing other tools on feedback?

Thanks,
    Hugo

Anonymous

Thank ou for your feedback Hugo 🙂 I checked out that tool and see how it can help someone prepare their approach to deliver feedback. I am focused on how to help a manager acutally deliver constructive feedback. In my experience, most manager’s seem to have no problem with praise but struggle with delivering feedback on poor performance. I find they have a great deal of anxiety, fear, nervousness, stress… all kinds of difficult emotions such that they just do not do it and poor performance continues or it’s quickly discussed once a year during “performance reviews” resulting in little actual impact on future performance. I coach on how to use “solution focused brief coaching” to discuss goal status and even to help an employee overcome a difficulty and coach on using the “situation-behavior-impact” model for consructive feedback. Perhaps fleshing out sample scenarios with good questions/prompts would help learners to be less fearful and deelop more skill in delivering constatucve feedback. I’ll keep thinking.

Keep up the great work Hugo and team. I appreciate all your effort and the solid body of work you share on this site.

Hugo Alberts
    Keymaster

Hi Debra,

Yes, I fully understand. When you were talking about the emotions, I thought it might be interesting to also consider emotion regulation skills, like acceptance here. if I understand it correctly, the emotions cause the manager to avoid giving the feedback that is needed. Basically, that is avoidance-based coping. You may want to look into ACT as it provides great tools for increasing active coping.

What could also be interesting is to analyze the emotions they feel in terms of the underlying values. Most emotions like fear tell us that there is something we consider important that we feel we may not obtain (if it is not important, we are usually not afraid). By connecting to the value, the emotion is more considered as “data”: feedback that can be used to base decisions on.

Moreover, you could consider using a strength-focus to create a healthy balance between positive aspects of functioning and negative. By starting with discussing the strengths of the employee, a buffer is created to also share the negative evaluation/aspects that need improvement.

I will consider more tools in this domain as it sounds very relevant for a lot of coaches.

Thank you for your kind words! We work really hard to make this toolkit work. It’s team effort and hearing people appreciate the effort is always nice 🙂

Take care,
    Hugo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.