coach training

Login Forums Coaching & Clinical Practice coach training

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Victoria Beresford 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hi Seph (and everyone)
    I’m interested in becoming a coach. I’m about to finish my MAPP degree at Melbourne Uni but am thinking I would benefit from some specific coach training. Can you recommend any relevant courses? I’ve looked at Robert Biswas-Deiner’s through Positive Acorn and really like the sound of them, however the time zone does not work with where I live in Australia. Tony Grant’s courses through his private company Institute of Coaching and Consulting Psychology have also been recommended. These seem to be less pos psych, and more executive coaching, but maybe combined with my MAPP degree could still provide a good mix? Do you know of any other coach training programs worth investigating? For me, it would need to be based in Australia or available online.
    Also, do you have a view on ICF accreditation? Is it important?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Simon

Hugo Alberts
    Keymaster

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your question. What kind of specific coaching training are you looking for? Is there a particular skill or target population you are aiming at?

Thanks,
    Hugo

Anonymous

Hi Hugo

Thanks for getting back to me.

I suppose I’m interested in more ‘life’ coaching (or I think I prefer the term ‘positive psychology coaching’) as compared to executive or organisational coaching.

I am also considering focussing on helping people find meaning and purpose in their life, as I believe this provides a critical foundation for positive living (as it appears you guys do too).

More specifically, I think my target audience is likely to be western (i.e. Australia), older (i.e. 30 years +), and potentially males.

I think (hope) my MAPP degree is going to provide me with a good understanding of positive psychology, so I guess I am looking to add some skills about how to apply this in the real world through coaching.

I’d really like to avoid doing another masters course, so some type of short course would be good.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if there’s anything else you need.

Cheers
    Simon

Hugo Alberts
    Keymaster

Hi Simon,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I think you MAPP degree gives a nice starting point. From personal experience, I know that it is really important to start working with people. Knowledge is important, but without practical experience it remains 2d in stead of 3D.

I do know quite a few Universities that offer valuable Positive Psychology courses, but they all lack the practical aspect. Honestly, I am not familiar with programs that offer direct face-to-face coaching lessons, but I am sure they are out there.

I have a professional training in Psychology as background, but my way of integrating positive psychology into my practice was by reading and then simply applying things like strength finding to my clients. Sometimes, I just believe that you have to start somewhere and build experience along the way.

Did you know that we created online coaching masterclasses for people who wish to integrate positive psychology into their practice?

See for instance:

Meaning & Valued Living© Coaching Masterclass​ For Practitioners

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

All the best,
    Hugo

Tony Zipple
    Participant

Have you looked at the certificate programs in positive psychology and positive psychology coaching at the Whole Being Institute in the US? Very solid, very practical

Tony

Victoria Beresford
    Participant

Hi Simon,

I am sorry for the late reply. I recently relocated from Mosman in Sydney to the sunny Gold Coast in QLD. I attended Hugo and Seth’s Masterclass in Maastricht earlier this year. Their programs are fantastic. I have an HR Consultancy and my Masters are in HR & Dispute Resolution. I am in the process of obtaining accreditation as an Executive Coach because, in Australia, you need accreditation to get indemnity insurance. The Level 1 course, which I am doing is fantastic and sits will with Postive Psychology. Check out the Institute of Executive Coaching & Training, their website is https://www.iecl.com/au/

Regards,

Victoria Beresford
    victoria@ergomazing.com
    http://www.ergomazing.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.